Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review: A Christmas Story


       I've watched A Christmas Story every year on christmas for almost as long as I can remember. It is by far the movie that I have seen the most. I know this movie inside and out. The name of the girl who raises her hand to point out to Ms. Shields that Flick is still stuck to the flagpole is Esther Jane. Actors are credited for playing Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless in the closing credits, because of a dream sequence that in the original edit, but was cut from the final version of the film. My family quotes this movie year round. When my dad won a bag at Niketown in Chicago for shooting free throws, he called it a “major award.” Almost all of my aunts and uncles own dogs, and when they all come to visit my mom calls them “The Bumpuses.” This movie is ingrained into my like unlike any other film, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

       In case you haven't seen this movie, some how avoiding the annual 24 hour marathons on TV, here is the basic plot. The story focuses on the Parker family, particularly young Ralphie, who in the days leading up to christmas plots ways to convince his parents to buy him a Red Rider BB Gun for christmas. That's the main through-line, but the movie goes off on a number of tangents all held together by the theme of christmas. The plot isn't so much of a cohesive story, as it is a collection of vignettes, sketches, and dream sequences. One moment we watch a family excitedly open a mysterious crate their father won at work, and the next we're watching Ralphie wail on Scut Farkus while a stream of gibberish obscenity comes out of his mouth. These are scenes that have become famous in their own right, touchstones of each holiday season.



       Frankly, it's not christmas until I see this movie. It's a little cheesy at times, which is why I still consider Die Hard to be the better christmas movie. I am impressed by the acting abilities of the children in this film, even those whose roles are no more than featured extras do a good job portraying their emotions in reaction shots. Darren McGavin is also a delight as the patriarch of the Parker family, a character who is so over the top, yet we all see a little bit of our own fathers in him. The actress who plays the mother is a little underwhelming, but she is a good foil to the ridiculousness of McGavin. If both parents were as ridiculous as McGavin the family would be too crazy and the story would be unbelievable. This film is a christmas classic, and if it isn't already part of your holiday traditions, I suggest that you make room for it in your christmas schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment